Who we are
We are proud descendants of the First Universalist Society of Weymouth, which, from 1864-1869, provided the first pulpit for Olympia Brown, the first female minister ordained in America. (click here to learn more about Rev. Brown)
Actually, we are the successor of three Weymouth Universalist congregations: The First Universalist Society, founded in 1836, The Second Universalist Society, founded in 1848, and the Third Universalist Society, founded in 1853. (*scroll down for more history)
Beau holds a Master of Divinity in Pastoral Studies from Andover Newton Theological School. Originally from Portland, Maine, she has come to us after two-years as Intern Minister at Unitarian Universalist Church of Worcester. Beau's office hours are Mondays from 3-7 pm or by appointment. Beau is also available to provide home and hospital visits as needed. If you would like to schedule an appointment for a private conversation, you may email her at email@example.com or call 781-335-8504.
The Rev. Barbara Dingwall Mills
Community Minister and Administrator
Barbara is a lifelong member of the church and resident of Weymouth, and was ordained by the congregation in 2009. She officiates at weddings, child dedications, memorial services and funerals for the community-at-large, and also serves the congregation as Administrator.
David has served this congregation for twenty-seven years with both commitment and humor! He studied organ under Edward Jenkins at the Perkins School for the Blind and Lambert Brandis at Eastern Nazarene College.
First and Third consolidated in 1960, and the resulting organization consolidated with Second in 1978. As the Universalist and Unitarian denominations had by that time consolidated as well, the final organization was named the Unitarian Universalist Church of Weymouth.
First Universalist met for a century in a building on the west corner of Prospect and Washington Streets in Weymouth Landing. That building burned in 1938. A new building was dedicated in 1940 and still stands on the other side of Washington Street just below the intersection with Broad Street. Today it houses an evangelical coffee house, "Fire Escape Ministries" (!).
Second Universalist met for a century in a building in Columbian Square, South Weymouth, that burned in 1954. A new building was constructed on the same site and now houses LaRossa Function Hall.
The present congregation meets in the oldest surviving building, that of the Third Universalist Society, dedicated in 1873.
Where to find us
We are at the corner of Sea Street and Route 3A in North Weymouth, midway between the Fore River Bridge and the Back River Bridge.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: Take the 220, 221, or 222 bus from the Quincy Center stop on the Red Line. We are at the third light after the bus goes over the Fore River Bridge into Weymouth.
DIRECTIONS FROM ROUTE 3: Get off at Exit 16A (Rte. 18 North). Turn right at end of exit ramp, then right at lights by the auto repair shop onto Winter Street. Proceed to end of Winter Street (Stop and Shop across intersection). Turn left on to Middle Street and proceed through 3 sets of lights. At end of Middle Street (by the cannon) turn left on to Commercial Street. Proceed through lights ( 7-Eleven on left, Sunoco on right), under railroad overpass. Bear left at the Y shortly after the overpass. Follow to end of street (now Pearl Street). The church will be across the street to the left.
Unitarian Universalist Church of Weymouth
83 Sea St., P.O. Box 38, Weymouth, MA 02191
To learn more about our small church with the red doors and quirky signs click on this link:
Image by Irish Eyes Photography